I realize that some of my posts are a little on the 'heavy' side at times, so to change things up a little I've decided to post a blog about the new t-shirt collection that I've started. Now some of you may be thinking 'what's the big deal about a t-shirt collection? Everyone has t-shirts.' This may be true, but my collection is t-shirts of political figures. In all honestly I didn't exactly start the collection, it sort of just happened to me. Some of these shirts I've had for years while others are more recent. So here's the story....
The first shirt I received was of Moammar Gadhafi from when Charlotte was teaching in Libya. the front has his picture (which is essential) and the back says 'El Fatah Forever' which I think means 'The Revolution Forever'. Gadhafi was coming to visit the town where Char was teaching so they were handing out shirts to the community, she never saw him or met him, but at least I got a shirt. The second shirt I acquired is of Che Guevara . I realize how cliche and exploited the image of Che has become, but I bought it when I was in Cuba and seeing as there were no Castro t-shirts, Che had to do. The third t-shirt I received is of John Garang founder and leader of the Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army until his death a few years back (RIP). The front of the shirt has his picture and underneath it are the words 'Freedom Fighter'. On the back are the words 'Join SPLA/M'. I got this shirt from my friend Chol who was in Sudan when I was in Uganda last year and he brought it back for me as a gift. My fourth and most recent t-shirt is of Obama. A friend of mine is traveling to DC for Obama's inauguration and I wanted him to pick up a shirt for me there in keeping with the tradition of getting the shirts from the actual places where these political figures made a name for themselves. However, yesterday when I was in Owino market (the biggest market in Kampala....HUGE) I saw an Obama shirt. Since the election, Obama pictures, shirts, and bumper stickers have been everywhere in Uganda. He has become somewhat of a hero here as people see him as one of their own. Needless to say, I decided to buy the shirt here and not in DC.
It wasn't until I received my Garang t-shirt that I thought 'hey I may have the start of a t-shirt collection here'. So If anyone has any t-shirts that would compliment my collection please let me know as I want to keep the collection growing.
This is sort of a mindless post, but I was a little bored so my apologies.
No comments:
Post a Comment